Choose Well

For a lot of common illnesses and ailments there is no specific cure and they will be relieved with time and simple remedies available without prescription. Therefore, please do not expect your doctor to prescribe a drug for every problem. Discussion and advice may be far more useful and free from side effects. The information below offers some practical advice on how to approach your ill health.

We feel it is important that all households should keep a reasonably stocked medicine_cabinet">medical cabinet at home to deal with minor ailments. Remember all medicines should be stored in a box or cupboard with a lock and kept well out of the reach of children. Always check the expiry date on medicines and do not keep them for future use, as they lose their effect or become dangerous. 



Ask a pharmacist (chemist)

For medicines advice and minor ailments speak to your local pharmacist (chemist).


NHS 111

NHS 111 is a 24 hour a day health information and advice service staffed by professional health advisers and nurses. They offer free, confidential advice on what to do if you are ill, and provide information on a range of conditions & services, and can put you in contact with your local health, self-help & support organisations and refer you to your out-of-hours doctor when the surgery is closed.


Out-of-hours GP service

If you have a serious medical need or an urgent health problem when your surgery is closed, contact the out-of-hours service provided by NHS 1111 by dialling 111 - callsare free from landlines and mobiles. This service is not for repeat prescriptions, test results or routine appointments.


Minor Injury Units (MIU) and Urgent Treatment Centres (UTC)

Before going to Accident and Emergency (A&E) consider if you would get the right treatment at a minor injury unit (MIU) or urgent treatment centre (UTC). You won't need an appointment and they can help with injuries like cuts, sprains and strains, bruises and fractures, wound infections and minor burns and scalds. Minor injuries units and urgent treatment centres cannot treat chest pains, breathing difficulties, major injuries, pregnancy problems, overdoses and conditions likely to require hospital admissions.

Local Minor Injury Units (MIU) & Urgent Treatment Centres (UTC):

  • MIU Horsham (located at Horsham Hospital) 01293 600300 Ext 7202
    (opening hours 9.00am-5.00pm Monday- Friday)
  • Crawley UTC (located at Crawley Hospital) 01293 600300 Ext 4141
    (open 24 hours a day including weekends and bank holidays)

Accident and emergency and 999 calls

Accident and emergency (A&E) and 999 calls to the ambulance service are for serious accidents and critical and life threatening emergencies only, such as loss of consciousness, severe chest pain and/or loss of blood.